Once upon a time there was a princess who loved banana bread and muffins. Now this princess decided to venture on to a special diet designed to help heal her gut and many sensitivities.
Despite this decision she stubbornly clung to her love of banana bread.
She did not want to have to give up light and fluffy muffins, especially banana bread, if she could help it!
To her royal delight she discovered that peanut butter makes a great medium for grain-free banana muffins. One that provided a texture so wonderful not even she could tell it was a “special” muffin.
The Peanut Butter even added another notch of goodness to something already so beautiful. Not only was it something she could eat but it was perhaps the best banana muffin she ever had. Healthy or otherwise.
I won’t say this made her live happily ever after- but it did make her day.
Peanut Butter N’ Banana Muffins
w/ Optional Date Crisp
- 1 cup unsalted peanut butter (omit salt if using regular peanut butter)
- 3 mashed bananas
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 2 1/2 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar, or another vinegar of choice*
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, butter, or ghee- cooled
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda*
- 3/4 t salt
- 3 T coconut flour
- 2 t cinnamon
*These ingredients are GAPS legal, if you are not on GAPS you can replace both with 1 teaspoon baking powder.
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Allow the coconut oil, butter, or ghee to cool down to avoid the risk of cooking the eggs.
- Mix together the peanut butter, mashed bananas, honey, vinegar, coconut oil or butter, and eggs. I like to use a stick blender, but that is not necessary.
- In a separate bowl stir together the coconut flour, baking soda, salt (if using unsalted peanut butter which is recommended), and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle the dry goods over the peanut butter mixture and stir until combined.
- Fill the muffin tins with 1/4 cup batter.
- Bake at 325 for 40 minutes.
Optional Date Crisp
- 1 T + 1t coconut flour
- 3 T medium shred coconut flakes
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 t cinnamon
Now the princess impatiently waits the day when she can have honey again so that she can make Peanut Butter N’ Banana Muffins and hear the cheers of joy from her loyal children as well as herself.