“Mommy! Apples? Please?” – Natalia with a pint of tomatoes.
Snacks are very important around here. Two little kids and a pregnant momma make them so. I love to take advantage of snacks to be another way to get a lot of nutrients into our children. For this reason, and also due to food sensitivities and frugality, we rarely have typical snack foods.
Snacks really are just foods eaten between meals to help little, and big, bodies make it through the day. Ideally they are simple as making 3 meals a day is often enough!
That means anything easy to grab, tasty, and nourishing to the body, are good options.
Here are some of our favorite:
- Fruits and vegetables- grape tomatoes, easy to peel citruses (such as cuties), bananas, cucumbers, sweet peppers, and apples are some of the most common.
- Nuts- they particularly like peanuts, but other nuts are occasionally seen. I try to make them crispy (soaked in salty water then dehydrated) to make them easier to digest.
- Eggs- I like to have hard boiled eggs around. I never succeed in that though because we go through eggs so quickly but I try to boil extra eggs when I am already doing so.
- Yogurt- I actually have always fed them unsweetened yogurt, so they gladly eat it, but sweetened with honey, maple syrup, or fruit is also a good option.
- Hummus and bell peppers- I always make a huge batch of hummus when I make it and have it for days.
- Frozen peas- yes, you read that right.
- Homemade Baked Goods- bread, muffins, cookies, ect.
- Dried fruit- we usually stick to dates and raisins for ease and cost.
- Leftover vegetables, or easy prep hot veggie dishes.
- Homemade Pop-cycles (tea, juice, sweetened yogurt, coconut milk, or pureed fruits frozen in Popsicle molds)
- Cheeses-homemade, raw, organic, or at least antibiotic free when at all possible.
- Fruit pops
- Salmon, Chicken, or Egg Salad (usually leftover)
- Baked sweet potatoes (reheated in toaster oven)
- Homemade pickles, and other lacto-fermented veggies.
- Peanut butter, honey, and cocoa powder mixed into either sour cream or yogurt (this is when I am sick from not having a good snack earlier in the day right before dinner)