** Linked to Simple Meals Friday @ Simple Foody**
Last January I had a soup similar to this at a friend’s house. I was pregnant with Valerie and most foods were incredibly uninteresting to me and even made me feel sick. This did not. It was soooo good and for days eating I was craving it like crazy.
Sadly, the original version Natalia could not have, so I just thought about it for a few days before deciding to try my hand at it.
It was an incredibly easy soup, and so very good. I meant to publish them but I completely forgot. A few weeks ago I found a bent envelope in the very back of one of my drawers with the ingredients for this scribbled on it. I thought the recipe was lost! But, it was found again, so it is time to publish it (and to STOP writing recipes down on the back of envelopes and sticking it in a drawer)
- 1 lb beef or 3 cups pinto beans for a vegetarian meal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- 3 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 cups cooked black beans or 4 cans
- 9 oz tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup onion powder
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 3½ cups of water or stock
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- ⅓ cup buttermilk, sour cream, or just the juice of a lime if needing to be dairy free plus ½ cup water or almond milk
- If using the meat: In a large pot melt the butter or oil over medium heat. Add the beef and salt and cook through.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, honey, 3 cups of the water, and seasonings. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Stir the arrowroot with the last of the water and add that. Stir to combine. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes. Add the buttermilk, sour cream, or almond milk and lime juice alternative.
- Serve hot.